Friday, July 19, 2013

Book of the Month: The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls

I love to read. SO much. I mean, television is great, too. It's visually stimulating and so easy. Reading requires a little more dedication, and I have to say, it's quite satisfying to finish a book, close the pages you've studied so carefully, and lend it to a friend so you can have someone to talk about it with. This month, I read The Yonahlosee Riding Camp for Girls. I am still not entirely sure how to pronounce that Native American word, but this book was very good. It's a fiction piece from the point of view of a 15-year-old girl living in the great depression. She is wealthy, though, and leaves her family after being part of a scandal, and goes to study and ride at the Yonahlossee Riding Camp in North Carolina. This book is beautifully written. I can picture the scenes Anton Disclafani (the author) describes so vividly, and you root for the main character even though she makes some very poor decisions. I don't want to give anything away, but y'all should definitely pick this one up. It even has that Southern decorum feel to it, with the socialites of North Carolina, Kentucky, Texas all in one place. 


Read it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment